1. The best time to create an asset protection plan is prior to having a claim made against your business; after that, it’s too late.
2. Trying to put asset protection in place after a claim is made often makes things worse, not better.
3. Asset protection planning should not be confused with insurance; it is not a substitute.
4. Putting your personal assets into the business is not the way to protect them; you should instead create a trust.
5. The purpose of good asset protection is to strike a good balance of control; you are not protected if you still have major control over assets.
6. Asset protection planning should not be confused with estate planning; the goals of each may differ.
7. Placing all your assets into an offshore account is not always the best plan.
8. Bankruptcy does not solve all problems.
9. Asset protection planning should be kept simple.
10. Plan with the assumption that creditors will discover your asset protection plan.
Got big dreams, but don’t know where to start? The time has never been better for small business owners to schedule a comprehensive LIFT™ (legal, insurance, financial and tax) Foundation Action Session. Simply complete the form, and return it to info(at)hawkeslawgroup.com. Our Client Services Director will contact you within 24-48 hours to schedule your LIFT Foundation Action Session. Normally, this session is $1,250, but if you subscribe to our mailing list with your first name, email address, mailing address, and mobile number, we will waive that fee.